Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 24 -- Last Full Day in Paradise


I slept until a glorious 8:30 this morning and woke up a few minutes before Ari appeared to tell me that my eggs were getting cold.

After breakfast, sunscreening, and changing into bathing suits Eleni drove me, Ari, and Sasha to a beach a little further away than Kantouni. Ari and Sasha played in the waves while I watched them to make sure that they weren't in any trouble and built sandcastles while I watched the bikini clad girls to make sure that they weren't in any trouble. We bought drinks, caught killer ants, played catch and Ari completely soaked his shoes in seawater. Hopefully they will dry because otherwise he's completely trashed three pairs of shoes in one trip and I have no spares and no time to find new ones.

Ari asked if we could go to a taverna for lunch and I explained that we were going to eat with the family.  Much to my surprise, he told me that he really wanted to go because he would miss Greek food and that he wanted me to learn to make it, especially tzatziki and stifado. I think his enthusiasm for Greek food is in part because he has been so happy here that it has intensely good associations for him. I hope that I can help him preserve some of the memories into his adult life.

Eleni picked us up and brought us home for a lunch of lemon garlic chicken, mashed potato, corn, green salad, beet salad, and watermelon. On the drive back, she said that she'd been reading my posts. She wondered why I hadn't mentioned the bikini clad girls in Kos to her yesterday and went on to say that Andrea must really trust me because there was no way that she'd trust her husband for two weeks alone. I pointed out that perhaps it wasn't trust, but a desire to be rid of me that motivated her. I didn't point it out, but perhaps Andrea just realizes that I'm unlikely to be attractive to Greek (or any other) girls.

After lunch Ari did his Greek homework and we worked on battleship. The progress is slow but we've now had the computer place its ships (though we haven't yet made sure that they aren't placed on top of each other).

After battleship it was time for a Greek lesson which was immediately followed by a trip to the beach, the pool, and the beach again with Sasha and Elina. Elina and I sat on the beach and then by the pool watching the kids, enjoying the sunset, and sipping fresh squeezed orange juice.

When we returned home Ari told me again how much he has enjoyed Greece and that he would miss it. These declarations were clearly heartfelt. I  told him that if he continued studying Greek I would find a way to get him to visit again.

Eleni and Giannis made a feast in honor of our departure. Souvlaki, both chicken and pork, cooked outside on the grill, served with pita, tsatsiki, tomato, and potato.  The kids played soccer until the meal was ready. We had music, talked, and ate until we we're stuffed. Eleni gave me the recipe for tsatsiki but couldn't come up with the word for vinegar. She kept saying it came from graves when she meant grapes. We had a good laugh when we figured it out.

Then Eleni brought out dessert, whipped cream with banana on a layer of chocolate, topped with dark chocolate shavings.

Ari went to bed at 11 something but when I followed him in I made him brush his teeth so he was up a bit later. while falling asleep he moaned and said that a mosquito was buzzing around his ear, so I stayed up writing this and guarding him until I killed a mosquito. I hope it is the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment