Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 18 -- The Best Laid Plans

We woke up early, ate some sort of Greek egg and filo dough pastry thing for breakfast and Ari started playing with his tablet, on which he has some new game that has become an obsession. I could not pry his eyes from the screen and so we missed the 10AM bus to Myrties from whence we could catch a ferry to the little island the of Telendos, which is supposed to be quaint, quiet and car free. So we went back to the room, played more tablet, worked on programming, and headed out for the 11:20 bus. Ari sent me back, at a run for a forgotten bathing suit. When the bus finally arrived at 11:30 the driver told us he was going out of service before Myrties and to catch the 12:00. Ari sent me back for my tablet and we programmed while we waited. The bus got there at 12:30 and we boarded.

Sadly, we missed the stop at Myrties and went over the mountain to Matsouri. We walked back. By the time we got to Myrties we were hungry so decided to eat before going to the island. I didn't bring a lot of money because we were just going to be on the beach most of the day but I had a credit card and so we selected a place that took Visa. In fact the bottom of each page of the menu said that Visa and MasterCard were accepted. At the end of the meal I tried to use my card. "Sorry, the machine is broken," I was informed. There went 16 of my 17 euros. Not enough left for the ferry.

No problem; I needed an ATM anyway. Where was the closest? Just one town over in Matsouri. So, back we trekked.

Once we had money Ari, who had endured up to then without any complaint, asked if we could sit in a cafe and have a drink instead of trekking back. So, we sat and drank Fanta and iced tea until the bus came and returned home in time for an hour of screen time before Ari's Greek lesson.

Our hostess appears to be a gifted teacher, getting Ari to pay attention and focus on learning. This place is great in other ways too. We have an entire floor with a bedroom, bathroom, full size kitchen, and a living/dining area that is huge. Two verandas stretch around the front and side.  The views are spectacular. Breakfast and cleaning are included, and our hostess interpreted cleaning to include things like doing our laundry on request. A delicious lunch is available on request. We are a five minute walk from the beach. I like the kids that hang around during the day and so does Ari.

After Greek Ari went to the beach with Sasha and his mom. I went to retrieve him an hour later and after he changed Eleni drove us to a restaurant and dropped us off. Ari had pasta that he thought tasted like Joshua's. I had grilled chicken. We were supposed to share but he liked his to much.

Another great day, except for the fact that I got no work done.


No comments:

Post a Comment