Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 17 -- A day at the Beach

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of roosters who just came from China and must still be suffering horribly from jet lag. Put in ear plugs and went back to sleep. When I wrote up again it was light and everyone else was at breakfast. Ari was clearly not a fan of the goat's milk rice pudding but was trying to be polite. I quietly took his pudding and ate it.

Eleni asked him what he liked to eat for breakfast and he told her about banana bread. She was quite shocked and a bit horrified. I gave her the recipe. The cloves really threw her for a loop.

Ari and I took Sasha with us on today's adventure.  We went to town and walked the length of it in 15 minutes. It was beautiful but small. Then we went to the beach. The kids swam briefly and we went back home.

We had a bit of screen time and a programming lesson. We finished the guessing game and moved on to battleship, a great game for teaching arrays. Didn't get very far, but we're making progress and Ari's  learned some new concepts.

After programming we headed to the local beach, where the waves are higher because the kids enjoy playing in the waves more than swimming in calm water. I watched Sasha and Ari disappear under the waves, abandoned all hope of reading and stood watching them like a hawk. When they got too far out for comfort I went toward them to tell them to come close to shore and saw just how hard it was to get to them through the waves, so I decided that the only safe thing was to swim with them. We swam in the waves until I was cold and made them get out. By that time Sasha was so cold that he told me his fingers were numb.

Ari and I headed out to dinner at the Chinese, Mexican, Greek restaurant. The Greeks don't do spicy but it was nice to have a change anyway. On the way home from dinner Ari said "Today was a great day."

Ari fell into bed exhausted, or more accurately he fell onto the couch where he has insisted on sleeping since we arrived. I couldn't even rouse him to brush his teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment